With the developments in technology, smartphone, tablets etc have become essential parts of our life and many of us have already been in situations where these gadgets have gone battery dead. Hence it is important to have something which can help you keep these devices ON during the times when you don’t have a power socket to charge these devices. This is where external battery/portable charger/power bank can come to your rescue. There are various types of power banks like solar power banks, power bank with flashlight etc. Picking the right one depends on the usage and number of devices you have.
RAVPower 3rd Gen Deluxe 15000mAh External Battery charger has a fantastic capacity for a device that’s so compact and reasonable light in weight. It weights just about 300 gram. This power bank has dual charging capabilities, an LED light to help you find your way when there is dark and enough power to recharge your smartphones several times. If you are in the market for a light weight portable power bank that won’t weigh your backpack or briefcase down, the RAVPower 3rd Gen Deluxe 15000mAh is one of the best option to consider. The layout has your charging ports and LED light at the top of the charger and the power-button resting on the top side of the charger. At the push of a button the 4 LEDs indicate the battery life of the power bank and by holding the button down a flash light is activated at the bottom of the power bank. In terms of size, it’s compact but it’s not something that will comfortably fit in anyone’s pocket.
- iSmart technology maximizes compatibility with Android, Apple or other devices by enabling charge speeds of up to 4 amps.
- Huge 15000mAh capacity charges an iPhone 5s almost 7 times, a Galaxy S5 over 4 times or an iPad Air once.
- Smooth, ebony varnish allows you to power up in style, while 4 status LEDs keep you informed of remaining capacity. Built-in flashlight for dark or low-light environments.
- Ultra reliable Samsung Lithium-Ion battery with over 500 battery charge cycles; Security protection design: short-circuit and over-current protection. This battery pack will automatic shutdown if a short circuit or overload output occurred while unit is charging.
Anker Astro is an ultra compact portable charger and is perfect for those who travels often. It’s rugged and powerful, with enough capacity to fully charge your smartphones, and partially charge more power-hungry devices, such as tablets. It has PowerIQ technology that automatically detects your device and charges them quickly. Anker Astro Mini differs from other chargers in terms of size, measuring only (3.5 × 0.9 × 0.9 in), no bigger than a lipstick and its also very light weight. Anker’s build quality is pretty good. Machined aluminum with an anodized finish, and tasteful silk-screening that complements the look and feel of the product. The design itself is very solid and elegant. This compact size power banks is covered with aluminum shell finish which feels very solid in your hand and gives you extra peace of mind if you accidentally drop it. The shell covers the entire cylinder in one solid piece, leaving only the top open where you have full size USB port to connect cable to your phone or tablet, micro USB port to charge this battery, and a small led/power button. To display the charging capacity, led has 3 colors to indicate: green 50%-100%, yellow 20%-50%, and red 5%-20%.
- Solid, Handsome Industrial Design
- Extremely Compact
- Comes with a nice little bag that can hold the battery as well as a cable.
- Premium Panasonic-Sanyo NCR18650BF Cells Inside – Finest in the Industry
- High Capacity: Add one and a half charges (over 7 hours talktime) to an iPhone 5s, almost one full charge to a Galaxy S5 or one full charge (70+ hours of audio playback) to most other phones
Developed by PNY Technologies from New Jersey, USA – the PNY BE-740 10400mAH Power Bank has a capacity of 10400 mAh. With its ergonomic design, it easily fits into your palm. The device is guaranteed to be consisting of non-recycled batteries. It also comes with safety protection. Physical dimensions of the device are 140 x 25 x 51 mm and it tilts the scales at 136 grams. This power bank is equipped with 8 safety features including overcharge protection, over current protection and short circuit protection among others. It comes with four high efficiency LED indicators that help you keep track of the battery level. As an auxiliary application, it carries a handy built-in LED torch. The device comes with additional safety measures insulation safety. It has a unique cylindrical design that is comfortable in handling.
- 3.7 volts lithium-ion battery with 10400mAH capacity
- Auto power off, make better use of battery energy
- Input: DC 5V-2.1A and output: DC 5V-2.1A
- Single USB output port with LED torch
- 4-lights of LED power indicator, which displays the battery level status
- 1 year limited warranty for device from the date of purchase
EasyAcc 10000mAh Ultra Slim Dual USB Portable Power Bank is a colorful and sleek power bank charger that allows you to utilize your smartphones more extensively or for prolong periods of time. The EasyAcc has a 10,000 mAh battery capacity. Considering most modern phones have about a 3000 mAh battery capacity, you should get around three complete recharges out of the battery pack. This power bank is compact and can easily fit into bags, cases or even in your pocket. Product dimension is 5.2 x 2.8 x 0.64 inches and weighs about 240g. The power bank charger has two USB ports, each USB port is different since they do not have the same specifications in terms of output. One USB ports has an output of 1.5 A which is ideal for small to medium devices. The second USB port has an output of 2.1 A. The top of the device contains the four LED charging indicators. Each LED represents about 25% battery life.
- A unique look that will let you stand out from the crowd: More than just a power bank, it s colorful.
- Shape: Compact design, super portable, easy to hold in your hand and put anywhere your want, e.g. a pocket or a bag.
- 10000mAh rechargeable power capacity, giving your phone enough juice to keep it running (5-6 times full charges to your iPhone 5 or 2.5-3.5 times charges for Samsung Galaxy S4, S3).
- Dual USB output: Charge two smartphones or an iPad at full speed (USB Output 1: 5V 2.1A, USB Output 2: 5V 1.5A); advanced power lock technology with standby time of up to 6 months once fully charged.
At about 4.9 inches tall, 2.4 inches wide and 0.9 inches thick, the external battery pack isn’t much larger than many smartphones. You can easily carry into a backpack or purse. The front and the back of the battery pack are made of smooth gloss plastic, which is a little slippy, there is also a silver band running around the edge. Moving to the edge-end of the battery, you will find two USB ports, each powered with IQ technology, a micro usb port for charging, which apparently been improved with a more rapid charging speed to get Astro E4 recharged faster, and LED light to use as a flashlight. This is a very useful feature, if you have to charge your devices in the dark.
Astro E4 13000mAh is made of Lithium ion battery. PowerIQ technology enables charge speeds of up to 3 amps. This feature makes each USB port to be completely device independent. Doesn’t matter what model or brand you are using, the port will determine the most optimal charging speed for your particular smartphone or a tablet. Eacg USB port is capable of providing up to 2.4 amps of power on its own for a combined total of 3.0 A. That 2.4-amp speed is notable because it’s fast enough to charge the latest iPads at full speed. What this mean is you can charge two latest smartphones at full speed at once.
- Exclusive PowerIQTM Technology: Detects your device to deliver its fastest possible charge speed up to 3 amps.
- Huge Capacity: Charges the iPad Air once, the Galaxy S5 over three times, the iPhone 5s almost six times and other smartphones multiple times. Recharges in 6.5 hours with a 2 amp adapter (not included) and the included Micro USB cable.
- Superior Quality: Premium LG cells, cutting-edge circuitry and a sturdy gloss exterior ensure reliability and safety. To activate the LED flashlight, hold or double click the power meter button.
For more power banks check below table
|Power banks||Capacity||Battery Type||Output Current||No. of Ports||Rating||Buying Option|
|Targus APB031AP-50 8400mAH Dual USB ||8400||Lithium-Ion||2.1A||2||4||Buy On Flipkart
Buy On Amazon
|PNY BE-740 10400mAH Power Bank||10400||Lithium-Ion||2.1A||1||4.5||Buy On Flipkart
Buy On Amazon
|PNY BE-520 5200mAH Power Bank||5200||Lithium-Ion||1A||1||4.2||Buy On Flipkart
Buy On Amazon
| Romoss 10000mAh Power bank Solo 5||10000||Lithium-Ion||2.1A||1||4||Buy On Flipkart
Buy On Amazon
|Lenovo Powerbank 10400 mAh||10400||Lithium-Ion||2.1A||1||3.5||Buy On Flipkart
Buy On Amazon
|Wayona W4 7000 mAh Ultra Slim Power Bank||7000||Lithium-Polymer||1.5A||1||3.8||Buy On Amazon|
|Vinsic Tulip 6000mah Power Bank||6000||Lithium-Ion||1.5A||1||4.3||Buy On Amazon|
|EasyAcc 10000mAh Ultra Slim Dual USB Portable Power Bank||10000||Lithium-Ion||1.5A||2||4.1||Buy On Flipkart
Buy On Amazon
|INTEX 4000mAh POWER BANK||4000||Lithium-Ion||1A||1||3.5||Buy On Amazon|
|Asus Zen Power 10050 mAh||10050||Lithium-Ion||2.4A||1||4||Buy On Flipkart
Buy On Amazon
What is a Power Bank
Portable power banks consist of a battery placed in a case which stores electrical energy and have a special microprocessor circuitry connected to a PCB to control the power flow. These are usually made of cylindrical lithium ion or low profile Lithium polymer. It receives power through a dedicated input socket. This power can come mainly from USB socket or a computer. It uses a mini or Micro USB sockets for charging and a full-sized USB for discharging. Even though power banks can use the same USB socket for input and output, frequent practice of the same can damage the battery.
The output has to be stepped up to 5V to be able to charge the smartphone. For the same, there is a DC-DC step up transformer inside the Power bank. The time taken to fully charge a power bank depends on its capacity and its current power level. In general, smaller units take less time (3-4 hours) to charge while high-capacity ones take around 15-18 hours. The LED indicator inside a power bank shows when they are at capacity. It also has a safety cut off in the circuitry itself to prevent overcharging, over discharging, short circuit, over current and overheating.
The life expectancy of a power bank depends on two main factors as follows:
- The number of charging and discharging cycles it can perform reliably during its operation.
- The time up to which the power bank can retain its charge when not in use.
The number of times a power bank will charge a device also depends on its capacity. Smaller devices will charge a smartphone, while larger capacity models can charge the same smartphone up to 5 times.
How to Use a Power Bank
Power bank is basically an external battery in a closed case. They have an micro USB cable at one end and the full sized USB cable at the other end. The micro end goes into the Power bank and the other can be connected to laptops or any other controlled power source like a DC adapter to charge them. Irrespective of whether the USB charger is 1A or 2A, you can connect it to either of the one as it will only take the current that it requires. Once charged, they can be used to charge the phones, tablets etc through the full sized USB cable; just connect the device and your power bank and the charging starts. The progress of charging you can observe on your device the same way you do when it is connected to a power socket.
Types of Power Banks
Many of the power banks are device integrated and they can double or even triple the life of your battery. Power banks can also be of solar type, where you use solar power to charge the same. Basically, Power Banks are of three types: Portable charging cases, USB plug in charging banks and Solar charger.
Portable charging case:
This is a innovative piece of technology. It connects to your device like a protective case which in any case most of us use. It helps to charge the device automatically when the power is down. You just plugin the device to the charging dock when you are at home and with the case you automatically add 2-3 times the charge for your device which kicks in whenever the device battery dies.
USB plugin power banks:
These contain pocket sized little units that use an USB to connect to your device. It can be called as a secondary portable battery which charges your device when there is no electricity socket nearby. When you are near a power source, you plug it to charge the power bank, and when you go out you will have a secondary battery in hand.
It is very useful when you are going out for camping, hiking, or on a trip etc. It can be used for any USB device and hence can be used for your phone, tablet etc. Having the size of a smartphone, it has a solar panel on one side. It uses sun rays to store and collect the power which can be used for charging other devices. Since it is charged using sun rays, you can easily charge the same by keeping it on the car dashboard when you are heading somewhere. The power bank gets charged so long as the sun is there, and afterwards, you can use the power bank to charge your other smart devices.
Charging a Power Bank
Power banks basically have a dedicated input socket for getting power. You can use a computer USB socket to connect to this socket for charging, but it charges faster when using a wall socket adapter. Here are a few points to keep in mind when charging a Power Bank:
- They normally use a mini or micro USB for discharging and full sized USB sockets for charging.
- Time taken to charge a power bank depends on its capacity and its current charge level.
- Smaller power banks can be charged with the same time taken to charge a smartphone, but for a larger one, it can take double or triple or quadruple times the former.
- They have an LED indicator to show the charge level, which can be used to prevent any overcharging
- Always avoid connecting power bank to the charging source once it is fully charged, to prevent any overheating.
- The efficiency of the power bank is calculated based on the percentage of charge transferred. When the power is getting transferred from power bank, a small portion of it gets lost due to the resistance of the power bank.
- Efficiency ratings differ between power banks based on the type of cell used, quality of the components and environment.
- Efficiency between 80 and 90 is the industry standard.
- Device depletion is the state of the battery of the device which is to be charged. The lower its state, the more power is required to be transferred from power bank to bring the device back to life.
Choosing a Power bank in India
If you are convinced about the need for buying a power bank then there are some important points that you should always keep in mind. These vary from brand, capacity, portability, price and charging methods.
Trusted brands can take a lot of your tension away in terms of performance and quality of the device. A good brand will make sure to provide good quality material to its customers and if by chance there are issues will make sure to provide good customer case so that they don’t lose their customer loyalty. The trusted brands for each country vary so I won’t go into actually listing the brands but making a small research into the this aspect of the power banks will go a long way in helping you pick the right product for yourself.
In most cases more size will mean more battery backup but that would also mean most size. Most good power banks in India which average out both the requirements – capacity and size – come at around 6 inches. You can find smaller sizes if you travels are short and you need the power bank for short periods and less number of charges but if you will be away for longer period from a power socket then it makes sense to give our power bank that extra space in your pocket or bag.
The capacity of a battery is measured in terms of milli ampere hour (mAH). A 1000mAH battery should ideally charge your mobile of 1000mAH battery once fully. The voltage of the battery should be more than your phone otherwise the charging won’t happen. Also, the performance of a power bank will keep on reducing with going time as is the case with any battery. So it becomes important that you invest in a battery that will keep being useful to you in near future too.
You should be able to see how much juice your Power Bank contains just like you can see that in your smartphone. This will help you make sure that you are not stepping out with a power bank that itself is not charged. Having an indicator will also help you keep an eye on the power available on the power bank with you so that you know how much use you can make of your mobile before you get to a power socket.
USB Charging capability
Although now most of the Power Banks have USB port for charging purpose, but still a few older models have pin socket chargers or different sized charging sockets. And of course it is also possible that you have a phone which doesn’t have USB as a charging option and in that case you would want to make sure that the Power Bank you are buying supports the charging method of your phone. Also, though it might not be a necessity, but in case the Power Bank has multiple charging points then it would be good if it can support charge for 2 devices at least. This can come in handy actually.